Summer means berries, and lots of them. This typically means it’s time to make jam! However, traditional recipes call for lots of sugar and require canning. Enter chia seeds! Chia seeds are a great way to make jam with little to no added sugar and skip the hot canning process. Chia seeds possess the power of gelling, which is perfect for jam! Chia jam will be less sweet and thick than traditional jams but just as delicious since you’ll be able to taste the fruit better. This jam can be used anywhere you usually use jam (sandwiches, toast, waffles, parfaits, and more). The best part about this recipe is you can completely customize it to your taste!
Chia Seed Fruit Jam
Recipe makes about 1 cup of jam
2 cups of fruit of your choice (fresh or frozen)
2 Tablespoons chia seeds
1 tablespoon lemon juice (do not use for very tart fruits)
1-2 Tablespoons honey or maple syrup (optional)
Flavor add-in ideas: lemon/lime/orange zest, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger
1. Heat fruit in saucepan over medium heat until desired texture achieved, stirring occasionally. Heat longer for more smooth consistency, heat less to have some fruit chunks left.
2. Add chia seeds and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Add sweetener if using (more tart fruit like blackberries may need a little sweetener while sweet fruits like peaches may not).
3. Remove from heat and let cool. Jam will start to thicken.
4. Stir again and then transfer to storage container or serve. Jam will be safe refrigerated for about 1 week and frozen for about 3 months. If you would like the chia seeds to be less visible in your product, use an immersion blender to blend up the chia seeds.
5. Adjust this recipe to taste and make again!