Heart healthy nutrition doesn’t have to be rocket science. Research shows that a plant based style of eating can have healthful effects. You don’t have follow a completely vegetarian meal pattern, but small changes like switching from cooking with butter to using oil and adding plant based foods can add up to a healthier heart and body. See some other ideas for increasing plant foods in your meals:
- Go meat free one day or meal per week. Here are some examples:
- Veggie, rice and bean stuffed peppers
- Tofu stir fry
- Portobello mushroom burger
- Veggie pizza
- Lentil tacos
- The Meatless Monday Campaign also has some other great ideas and recipes on their website: https://www.meatlessmonday.com/
- Incorporate more pulses (beans, lentils, peas) in your meals, they are incredibly versatile:
- Swap hummus for mayo in sandwiches.
- Use ½ pureed white beans and ½ ricotta cheese in lasagna.
- Make burgers ½ ground meat and ½ mashed pinto beans.
- For mac & cheese use ½ cheese sauce and half yellow split pea puree.
- In brownies replace 1 cup flour with 1 can pureed black beans.
- For chocolate chip cookies replace ½ the oil with red lentil puree.
- For a boost of protein and fiber, puree into soups or stews or add in place of meat in sauces.
- Add beans to salads.
- Roast chickpeas for a crunchy snack.
Not sure how to prepare pulses? Here are some tips:
Information from Pulses.org