- Tomatoes are in the same family as potatoes, eggplant, and peppers.
- Tomatoes are high in vitamin C, potassium, fiber, lycopene, and some B vitamins. Cooked tomatoes have a higher nutritional value than raw tomatoes!
- Tomatoes are typically seen as red, orange, and sometimes yellow but there are also varieties that are green, pink and purple.
- There is a tomato festival in Spain called La Tomatina where people throw tomatoes at each other!
- The heaviest tomato in the Guinness Book of World Records was recorded in 1986 and was 7 pounds and 12 ounces.
- Cooking tip: to remove skins easily, blanch tomatoes in boiling water for 15-30 seconds, immediately put them in ice water and use a paring knife to remove the skins.
- Storage tip: store tomatoes at room temperature.
Chicken Tacos with Charred Tomatoes
Fresh Tomato Salsa