Quick? Easy? Nutritious? Delicious? No cooking required? Yes, please! Overnight oats are all of these things. Overnight oats are also a great option for those struggling for breakfast ideas due to food allergies or vegan eating styles as the ingredients can be flexible.
Check out this video for a basic overnight oat recipe and other tips:
- Be sure to use rolled oats. Instant oats and steel cut oats will not produce the same texture.
- If you prefer a chewier texture, steel cut oats can be used but must be soaked at least 10 hours before eating. If this is still too chewy, soak longer.
- Substitute soy, almond, or other plant based yogurt and milk if you like.
- Adjust the liquid amount to create your preferred texture. Use more liquid for a creamier texture or less liquid for a chewier texture.
- Additions: so many choices!
- Any fresh, frozen, or dried fruit
- Seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, flax, chia, etc.)
- Nut butter
- Citrus zest
- Protein powder
- Coffee and cocoa for mocha flavor
- Strawberry banana
- Apple cinnamon
- Peanut butter banana (add chocolate to make it chunky monkey)
- Banana, blueberry, and walnut
- Strawberry and cocoa
- Coconut, pineapple, and macadamia nut
- Mixed berry and almond
- Peach raspberry
- Cocoa and coconut with almonds (almond joy!)
- Carrot cake (grated carrots, apple pie spice, cinnamon, walnuts, raisins)
- Cocoa and peanut butter
- Peanut butter and jelly
- Pumpkin pie (pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice)
- Cherry, chia, and almond